1. Brave Vultures obtained their band name from an unusual source:
Not content with simply drawing from lyrics of their favorite artists, movie quotes or words that just ‘sound cool’, the Essex quartet’s vocalist Dom Littler found himself moved by an iconic photo:
“The photo really hit me hard. The Vulture in the image didn’t have a clue, it was simply hunting its prey, being arguably braver than the other predators. The story continues that the photographer chased it away and the starving Sudan girl survived, but Carter just couldn’t cope with the haunting tragedy of what he had seen over the years. An award winning photo combined with a tragic ending”
- Brave Vultures debut EP ‘I’m Not Coming Back If You’re Not Here’ is out now via digital outlets and physically at http://www.bravevultures.bigcartel.com/
- Watch ‘With Me’ now: https://youtu.be/WyfUY-hgFxk
2. Anna’s Anchor have notched up more miles than Philleas Fogg:
Not only is their debut LP entitled ‘Nautical Miles’, emphasizing how Marty Ryan, the man behind the project, has a habit of putting in slightly longer than a miles worth of energy to everything; but the man can barely sit still for all of the traveling his has undertaken in pursuit of his art.
Firstly we learn that video single ‘Signal Tower’ (here) saw Marty in his native Ireland, go to as many landmarks as possible in 4 days, filming for 14 hours straight and clocking up 1300 miles, across a total of 200 locations. Not only that, 2015 release ‘The Islands’, saw Ryan visit 8 remote islands in 8 weeks, in order to write 8 tracks, which he then recorded on his return. As if that isn’t enough to send your head spinning, that brings us to the album – laying down Nautical Miles saw Marty spend all of January 2016 criss-crossing the Irish Sea for studio sessions, recording in Manchester with producer Bob Cooper. Marty is also currently touring the record with a full band, which sees him whizzing about the place, including at: 03/10/16 Star & Garter – Manchester | 04/10/16 Santiagos – Leeds | 05/10/16 TBA – Reading | 06/10/16 Pre Bar – Southampton | 07/10/16 Veg Bar – London | 08/10/16 The Undertone – Cardiff | 22/10/16 Masons, Londonderry | 23/10/16 McHugh’s Basement, Belfast | 26/10/16 – Debarras (Living Room Sessions), Clonakilty | 29/10/16 – Shank Fest, Dublin | 30/10/16 – Monarch, Berlin, Germany
- Anna’s Anchor Released ‘Nautical Miles’ on 23/09/16.
- 12” vinyl & CD Formats: Ireland/ROW via Never Meant – nvrmntrecords.bigcartel.com | UK via Struggletown – http://struggletown.limitedrun.com/products/575225-annas-anchor-nautical-miles-lp-preorder
- Pay What You Want Download With Profits Going To Limerick Suicide Watch: annasanchor.bandcamp.com
- Watch Video ‘Hampton’ Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElZyLTeJ5Os
3. Towers are in therapy…
“I (Mark) went through a tough time last year with personal and mental issues. Music was the only thing that kept me going through it, that and the 3 other members of this band. I started writing these songs during that time, and once I recorded them I had made a lot of progress with myself. It was basically therapy for me!
Music to all of us is important. These songs are incredibly personal to me. We have all been in different bands, and bands together for over a decade. But this EP feels like we have something special. We do it for the love for music, we love playing music, writing music, and we are all best friends. That’s really it! It’s that simple. If we don’t write music we go crazy. Trust me.”
- Towers released their self-titled debut EP digitally on 30/09/16: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/id1133205674?app=itunes
- Watch ‘Could Have’ now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h7ct82MBI0
- Catch Towers Live On 14th October at The Anvil, Bournemouth
4. COVE are named ‘one of UK metalcore’s best new bands’…
…by Rock Sound – who also happen to be streaming their stonking debut, mini-album ‘We Were Once Lost’, ahead of it’s release on the 7th October – check it out here.
Vocalist Sam King says of the record: “We’re all fans of songs that have groove, and for us that is all about a catchy riff that you can nod your head to, but makes you do that “ooooooh” face when you hear it.” Recorded with producer Oz Craggs at Hidden Track Studios, ‘We Were Once Lost’ sees the Kent mob succeed in their aims of writing “heavy, riffy music, with big choruses that make you grab your friends in the middle of a mosh pit and sing along”.
- COVE release ‘We Were Once Lost’ digitally and physically on 07/10/16
- Watch ‘An Honour’ now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5cZfUpsdQ
5. Six Time Champion follow up on some downtime with lead single Down…
…in which no one drowned, despite it featuring some haunting underwater sequences. Recently revealed in a behind the scenes feature on New Noise Magazine (here), the band commented:
“It’s the first time we’ve shot a “proper video” as our previous videos were made up of live and studio footage… . The performance part of the video was shot in the grounds of a huge manor house not too far from Brighton. All the underwater shots were filmed at a school pool pretty late one night, again a location pretty close to Brighton. That all went pretty smoothly with it all being wrapped up in a couple of hours without either Ian or the actress actually drowning. Result. The songs itself is about being in a negative place mentally and the girl drowning captures that side of the song perfectly.”
Six Time Champion release ‘More Than Me’ digitally and physically on 14/10/16. Pre-order at: www.sixtimechampion.bigcartel.com
- Watch New Video ‘Down’ now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-LmNFOj_XQ
- More Info: https://www.facebook.com/SixTimeChampion
Catch Six Time Champion ‘More Than Me’ Tour: 20th October – The Garage, London (EP Launch show) | 20th October – Remedy (Club Night), The Crowndale, London | 21st October – The Zoo, Manchester | 22nd October – Lounge 41, Workington | 23rd October – Vintage Rock Bar, Doncaster | 24th October – Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham
6. You Know The Drill assemble the pop punk squad:
Featuring mastering by Grant Berry formerly of Me Vs Hero; tracks refined by Alex Adam of ROAM; and artwork by Fil Thorpe-Evans of Neck Deep. But on You Know The Drill’s debut EP ‘Losing Streak’ it’s really the songs themselves that are the pop punk guests of honour at this genre summit,the band batting for the rafters with their energy laden guitar and drum attack. With vocal hooks left, right and centre, particularly so on their big-room-ready choruses, YKTD will have everyone singing along in no time.
- You Know The Drill release ‘Losing Streak’ physically & digitally on 28/10/16 via Scylla Records. Pre-orders available at: http://scyllarecords.myshopify.com/products/you-know-the-drill-losing-streak-cd-cassette
- Watch ‘Less Than You’ now: https://youtu.be/75ookg4Jazk
- See You Know The Drill Live: 20th November – Courtyard, Birmingham
7. Better Than Never are Better Than Ever…
…thanks to full-deployment of their girthy line-up. Comprised of vocalist James Harris, vocalist/guitarist Will Keating, guitarists Max Peniket and Jim Allsop, bassist Jake Aitman and drummer Alex Hinton-Smith, the Oxford sextet ensured ‘team work’ was their mantra. With the return of their original drummer Alex who “just made every element of the EP feel a lot more natural and together”, the members sat down as a group and worked together on every track for several months, trying to perfect every aspect. As James recalls, “We didn’t hesitate to pull something we’d written apart, even if we were happy with it, just so we could find tiny ways of making it more unique and stand out.” The same was true for lyrical content, with these having to obtain every member’s seal of approval, in order to achieve “a more mature and meaningful step-forward”. The result is an EP jam-packed with hard-hitting layers: the dual vocalists are used to maximal effect, triple stacked guitars cleverly interplay and the lyrical content delivers a punch to the feels.
- Better Than Never release ‘Head Under Water’ via Fox Records on 02/12/16. Pre-order:
- CD – http://foxrecords.limitedrun.com/products/578566?preview=true
- Tape – http://foxrecords.limitedrun.com/products/578820?preview=true
- Digital – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/head-under-water-ep/id1157904518?ls=1&app=itunes
- Listen to single ‘Learning To Swim’ now: https://soundcloud.com/fox-recordings/better-than-never-learning-to-swim/s-BaBeI
- Catch ’em live: 23rd October – The Exchange, Bristol | 24th October – The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham | 25th October – The Wheatsheaf, Oxford | 29th October – Record Junkee, Sheffield | 30th October – Maguires’ Pizza Bar, Liverpool | 13th November – River Rooms, Stourbridge
8. WSTR turn that frown upside down…
Not only have they released the very posi video for new single ‘Lonely Smiles’, featuring fan submitted footage detailing ‘What Makes You Happy?’ as seen here – but they have finally unveiled details for their debut LP. Entitled ‘Red, Green Or Inbetween’, it sees release via No Sleep Records on 20th January 2017.
Vocalist Sammy Clifford reveals: “This album is mainly a breakup album however it’s not a ‘fuck you’ album it’s more a ‘mad at myself’ album. The title, ‘Red, Green Or Inbetween’ is based on being stuck in limbo or in the ‘in-between’. Amber is also the name of a significant friend of mine who most of the songs are about, so it’s a pretty sad boy record. It’s all about kicking myself for not stepping up when I had the chance and coasting through life making bad decisions. Compared to the EP, it’s still very honest but just bigger, better and longer. The artwork is a voodoo doll which is meant to represent me, as I sometimes feel like someone is out to get me with all the bad luck I have. Putting out an album is a big scary step, but it’s been a long time coming and we’re ready to see what the world has to say and hopefully see some more of it too.”
The band are also set to headline the UK, supported by Milestones, before visiting Ireland in support of ROAM:
24.10.16 DUNDEE, Buskers
25.10.16 EDINBURGH, Opium
26.10.16 YORK, Fibbers
27.10.16 SHEFFIELD, O2 Academy2
29.10.16 STOKE, The Underground
31.10.16 LIVERPOOL, O2 Academy2
01.11.16 LEICESTER, The Scholar
02.11.16 LONDON, The Camden Assembly
03.11.16 CARDIFF, Clwd Ifor Bach
04.11.16 PLYMOUTH, The Underground
05.11.16 BOURNEMOUTH, The Anvil
27.11.16 Fibber Magees, Dublin, Ireland
28.11.16 Roisin Dubh, Galway, Ireland
29.11.16 Voodoo, Belfast, UK
WSTR’s debut album ‘Red, Green or Inbetween’ is out Jan 20th via No Sleep Records!
9. Blood Youth aren’t sleeping on the job…
The quartet are currently midway through their ‘Closure’ UK headline tour. Soon after they hit Europe with While She Sleeps. Then they’ll be getting to work on their debut album. It’ll be the end of the year before they know it!